Lemon is a fruit native to Asia and belongs to the genus Citrus. It is used since ancient era throughout the world for both culinary and non-culinary uses. It has an intense tangy and sour taste, which keeps the fruit away from having it standalone. The fruit is highly rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids. We all know that vitamin C is good for our health, but it also offers a wide range of health benefits. They were gifted to kings once upon a time when they were very rare.
Lemons are a rich vitamin C source. They make the world’s most inexpensive drinks that could be prepared at home with different flavors and variations. Adding lemon juice to the foods you prepare instead of adding dry mango powder will bring out a luscious flavor in them. It helps in skin rejuvenation, maintains a healthy gut environment, helps in putting down weight and helps from common cold to flushing out toxins out of your body. Let us find some of the advantages of lemon it has on human health and its nutritional breakdown too.
The nutritional properties of lemon includes flavonoids, dietary fiber, fats, protein, minerals (zinc, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, copper and manganese), electrolytes (potassium) and vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, chlorine, C and E).
The various health benefits of lemon to avail at home from this simple and yearlong available fruit are given below.
1. Boosts immune system – vitamin C and antioxidants in lemon help the body to fight infections from germs and foreign invaders. This improves the body’s immunity.
2. Prevents indigestion and constipation – it fools the liver to produce more bile and helps the food to run down through the gastrointestinal tract smoothly. The acid in it encourages the body to break down the food (good stuff in it) slowly in order to keep steady the insulin levels. Better absorption prevents from bloating and flatulence.
3. Helps in weight loss – the best remedy to see wonderful result inexpensively and with no diet is to have a glass of water with lemon juice every morning after bed, adding honey to the glass is optional. Do as you like, but start having it.
4. Reduces gout pain – gout is formed from uric acid build up. This acid can be diluted by having lemon water and thus relieves pain.
5. Protects body in pregnancy – in pregnancy, the body is more prone to viruses. To cope from them, lemon water can be used, which acts an adaptogen. It also helps in formation of the bone tissues of the fetus.
6. Revitalizes the skin – lemon juice, natural antiseptic, treats skin problems effectively. It eases the pain from bee stings b applying the juice topically. Eczema and acne are very common and we load ourselves with dozens of pill. This is because we are not aware of the healthy benefits available inside our kitchen. Use lemon juice on the affected area and experience the relief. Rub the lemon on the area where there are blackheads, massage for 2–3 mins and watch it glow. Consuming a glass of lukewarm water with lemon juice and a spoonful of honey every morning keeps your skin healthy and gives a glow.
7. Prevents from asthma – vitamin C helps in reducing asthma by enhancing the working of enzymes that relax airways and prevent their choking by inhibiting the enzymes responsible for this activity. It helps in relieving from respiratory and breathing problems.
8. Combats cancer – antioxidants help in fighting against cancerous cells by inhibiting the formation of free radicals, which is the root cause of cancer.
9. Increases iron absorption – anemia is the disease cause by iron deficiency. This can be overcome by clubbing vitamin C rich foods with normal meals and drinks. One such fruit is lemon, which helps in maximizing the body’s ability of iron absorption.
10. Brightens complexion – antioxidant vitamin C in lemons help in fighting against skin damage from pollution and sun by applying the juice or simply rubbing the fresh lemon on the skin. It also helps in reducing wrinkles and skin texture.
11. Cares for teeth – lemon juice when applied on the area of a toothache gives instant relief. It also helps in gum bleeding and removes bad odors, thus maintaining a healthy oral environment. It is also good for regular teeth and gum cleansing.
12. Cares for hair – for not only skin and teeth, but lemon also is good for your hair. Applying lemon juice directly on the hair gives them a natural shine. Applying lemon juice on scalp will help in getting rid of hair loss and dandruff.
13. Antiseptic and coagulant – because of these properties, lemon helps in stopping internal bleeding. To stop nosebleeds, add few drops of lemon juice on cotton ball and put inside the nose.
14. Treats rheumatoid arthritis – being a natural diuretic, lemon flushes toxins out of the body, helping and relieving from pain in arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Cures cholera – lemon juice if taken on a regular basis helps in purifying blood. Thus, it prevents from diseases like malaria and cholera.
16. Controls high blood pressure (BP) – as lemon contains potassium, it helps in relieving from heart problems. Thus, reducing high BP, nausea and dizziness with lemon juice is easy, convenient and inexpensive. It provides a calming and soothing effect to both the body and the mind.
17. Heals corns – topical application of lemon juice on the skin lumps helps in dissolving them easily.
18. Boosts energy and mood – lemon does not contain caffeine and having it as bed tea instead of coffee or regular tea will boost your mood and will keep you energized throughout the day. Just recall in your mind that how a little hue/scent of lemon refreshes you and relieves your stress.
Other benefits include relieving from following: heartburn, stress and depression, throat infection, foot relaxation, strokes, kidney stones, deodorizing rooms and kitchen naturally, bowel movements, anxiety and many more – discover them yourself by starting having lemons in your diet today. Understand that lemon is an anionic food (the only anionic food in the world), i.e. with a negative ion, while all other foods are cationic, i.e. with a positive charge. The reaction between an anion and a cation expels large amount of energy. So it is with the food. Combining it with any of your favorite food will boost your day like rocket. Why one should not to try a lemon and experience the rocket feel – do you have any reason to neglect?
Lemon is the nature’s boon to not one but everyone. It is a powerful fruit and you can avail the maximum benefits by consuming a quarter to half a lemon. The fruit’s benefits have surprised you, we know. Smack it now and enjoy its tangy flavor.